Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Blériot XI

Blériot XI
France / Poland
pioneer era plane
1967



  • Technical data


Span 8.5 m
Length 7.6 m
Take-off weight 220 kg
Maximum speed 70 km/h
Ceiling
Range
Armament
Powerplant :
3-cylinder, "W" configuration Anzani, 25hp (18kW).
Virtual tour :

 

A replica of the iconic pioneer era aeroplane built by one of Poland's most senior aviators.

When the dream of flying had just become a reality, a race began to fly ever farther and higher. From the start, competition depended on technical abilities. In 1903, the flight range was a mere 36 metres…

A French aircraft designer Luis Blériot in 1909 built an aircraft with a wooden trussed fuselage construction, an upper wing and a tractor propeller. After some improvements had been introduced, the Bleriot VII bis flew in 1908, covering a distance of 30 kilometres. The following XI version, had a simplified construction. The designer abandoned the application of ailerons and double vertical stabiliser. The ailerons were replaced with wing tips that were flexible at the trailing edge.

The version became famous, because of many feats in aeronautical history. Apart from the first crossing of the English Channel on 25th July 1909, the Blériot aircraft was used by another Frenchman Adolphe Pégoud to make the first ever inverted flight on 1st September 1913. A week later, at Buc, he also performed a roll and a loop. Lasting 37 minutes, the Channel crossing added popularity to Luis Blériot and attracted hundreds of new buyers of his machines from France as well as abroad. By 1915 around 1000 aircraft were built. It was one of the most popular aircraft types of the pioneer era in European aviation. The Blériot XI was also built on Polish territory – three machines "rolled out" from the Aviata works in Warsaw in 1911. In the early stages of the First World War, the consecutive Blériot XII version was utilised for reconnaissance missions. Slightly bigger, it could carry an additional two passengers.

The aircraft on display is a replica of the Channel crossing Blériot XI, equipped with a Salmson engine (40 hp). The plane was built in 1967 by Paweł Zołotow and given to the Museum in October 1968.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -