Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: PWS-26

PWS-26
Poland
advanced trainer
1937



  • Technical data


Span 9.0 m
Length 7.0 m
Take-off weight 1170 kg
Maximum speed 200 km/h
Ceiling 4200 m
Range 460 km
Armament one 7.92 mm synchronised machine gun on a starboard 25 kg of bombs under low wings.
Powerplant :
9-cylinder radial Avia (licence Wright) Whirlwind J-5 (the engine was started after restoration at the museum)
Virtual tour :

 

In the beginning of 1933, working at the Podlaska Aircraft Works August Bobek - Zdaniewski worked out the developed version of the PWS 14.
The prototype of the new airframe marked as the PWS 16, reached mass production. In 1934, one of the factory aircraft was radically rebuilt and utilised for gunnery and bombing training. This changed the outlook of the aircraft and the new construction was marked the PWS 16 bis. By the end of 1934, Zdaniewski started to work on the improvements of the PWS 16 bis. As a result, the PWS 26 emerged. The prototype of the new aircraft - a two seat, single engine biplane of mixed construction was flown in spring 1935 and then mass production started. The Polish Air Force ordered 400 aircraft, but only 300 were delivered until the outbreak of war. In 1937, after introducing the PWS 26 to the aviation schools, the majority of the PWS 16 bis were withdrawn and after overhaul & sold.
The PWS 26 was manoeuvrable, stable and easy in flying, which made it one of the best European training aircraft of that period. After assembling the armament it could be used for advanced combat training.
In September 1939, the PWS 26 aircraft served as liaison and observation machines. After the September campaign, numerous PWS 26's reached Romania and the Soviet Union, where they were used until the end of the war. After being captured by the Germans at the Aviation Training Centre in Dęblin, about 30 aircraft were taken over and overhauled. Two aircraft then, were sent to Germany for testing and the rest were sold to Romania.
The aircraft on display is the one of two utilised by the German Luftwaffe. It bears the 81 - 123 factory number and was built in 1937. In 1945 it was found in nearby Poznań among other wrecks. After repair at the District Aviation Works it was registered and flew by November 1949 until 1953. In 1954 the aircraft was handed over to the Technics Museum in Wrocław, where in 1959 it was displayed at the aviation exhibition. In December 1963 the aircraft was given to the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. After restoration it is displayed in September 1939 colours.

Back

 


Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -