Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: TS-11 Iskra bis B (cross section)

TS-11 Iskra bis B (cross section)
Poland
advanced trainer
1970



  • Technical data


Span 10.06 m (33 ft)
Length 11.15 m (36 ft 6 in)
Take-off weight 3,862 kg (8,514 lb)
Maximum speed 720 kph (390 kt, 447 mph)
Ceiling 11,000 m (36,000 ft)
Range 1,200 km (746 mi, 647 NM)
Armament one 23 mm cannon; 50 kg bombs, gun pods or rocket launchers on 4 underwing hardpoints
Powerplant :
a single SO-1 turbojet, 9.8 kN (1000 kG) thrust

 

The fuselage of a damaged TS-11 used as a study aid.

A Two-seat jet trainer designed in 1958 by a team led by Tadeusz Sołtyk. The prototype made its first flight in 1960 powered by British Bristol Siddeley Viper 8 engine, because of problems with the intended SO-1 engine, which was being designed simultaneously. The aircraft, name Iskra (spark) proved to be a very successful design.

In 1961 Iskra took part in a contest for a jet trainer for air forces of the Warsaw Pact member countries held in Soviet Union. Its rivals were Soviet Yak-30 and Czechoslovak Aero L-29 Delfin. For political and other reasons the L-29 was the winner, but Poland stayed with Iskra, having started the series production in WSK PZL Mielec. Because of constant problems with SO-1 engine, WSK PZL Rzeszów commenced production of the HO-10 interim engine, based on the BS Viper.

The first aircraft of Iskra bis A version entered service in 1964. In 1966 the Iskra bis B version was designed, with SO-1 engine, upgraded avionics and underwing armament pylons. In 1972 reconnaissance and artillery spotting version Iskra 200 was designed, which was produced as Iskra bis C. In 1972 also a single seat attack version Iskra 200BR was developed, but did not enter production. In 1973 the Iskra 200SB was developed, which entered production as Iskra bis D. In 1975 production of trainer and reconnaissance version Iskra bis DF began. These versions are powered by upgraded SO-3 engine.

In 1975 Indian Air Force purchased 50 Iskra bis D aircraft, which remained in use until the end of 2004. Production finally ceased in 1987. A total number of 419 aircraft was built. In Polish Air Force Iskras are still used for advanced training and as aerobatic aircraft by Air Force display team White&Red Sparks. Naval Aviation used to employ Iskra for maritime reconnaissance.

The TS-11 Iskra bis B, construction number 1H 0615 was manufactured as part of the sixth production batch. It was assembled on November 30, 1970. From December 1, 1970 to July 29, 1972 the aircraft belonged to No. 60 Training Aviation Regiment based at Radom-Sadkow airfield. On October 16, 1971 soon after the plane had taken off for a solo qualification flight it suffered engine malfunction caused by a compressor blade breaking off. The pilot performed emergency landing on a highway with partially retracted gear. Due to the damage the aircraft was written off and cannibalised for spare parts and used as a study aid.

Back

   


Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -