Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: TS-11R Iskra bis DF

TS-11R Iskra bis DF
Poland
reconnaissance plane
1984



  • Technical data


Span 10.06 m
Length 11.15 m
Take-off weight 3,840 kg
Maximum speed 750 km/h
Ceiling 11,000 m (36,000 ft)
Range 1,200 km (746 mi, 647 NM)
Armament one 23 mm cannon; 50 kg bombs, gun pods or rocket launchers on 4 underwing hardpoints
Powerplant :
a single SO-3W turbojet, 9.81 kN (2,205 lbf) of thrust

 

Naval reconnaissance variant of standard Polish jet trainer.

TS-11 Iskra (English: spark) was a two-seat jet trainer designed in 1958 by a team supervised by Tadeusz Sołtyk. The prototype made its maiden flight in 1960 powered by the British Bristol Siddeley Viper 8 engine. The aircraft entered production line in 1963 in WSK PZL Mielec fitted with HO-10 engine (based on BS Viper 8) from WSK PZL Rzeszów factory. In 1964 Iskra broke four world speed records for this class of aircraft.

In 1991 6 aircraft of the Iskra bis DF version were converted to a reconnaissance variant designated TS-11R fitted with American surveillance radar RDS-81 and a GPS receiver. The crew consisted of a pilot and a radar operator in the back seat. Polish Naval Aviation utilized the TS-11R for maritime reconnaissance duties. From 1991-2003 these aircraft were based at Siemirowice and operated by No. 7 Special Air Regiment (subsequently reorganised as No. 3 Naval Air Squadron and later, No. 30 Naval Air Squadron). Naval Iskras flew until 2003.

The aircraft no. '1909' was manufactured in 1984 and delivered to No. 2 Fighter Aviation Regiment in Goleniow. In 1988 the plane was transferred to No. 58. Air Training Regiment in Deblin. From 1991 to 2002 it served with the naval aviation units based in Siemirowice. In 2003 it was transferred to No. 3 Tactical Aviation Squadron in Poznan-Krzesiny. Subsequently, it was reassigned to No. 1 Air Training Centre in Deblin, which donated the aircraft to the Museum in 2007.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -