Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29GT (UB) (NATO: Fulcrum-B)

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29GT (UB) (NATO: Fulcrum-B)
USSR
combat trainer
1982



  • Technical data


Span 11.36 m
Length 17.32 m
Take-off weight 15,600 kg
Maximum speed 2400 km/h (Ma 2.3)
Ceiling 18,000 m
Range 1430 km
Armament
Powerplant :

 

The design of the MiG-29 fighter with fuselage producing lift and wing with leading edge root extensions, in which there is not distinct division between the wing center section and fuselage, was launched at the Mikoyan bureau on the turn of 1960s and 70s. The prototype first flew on October 6th, 1977 and series production began in 1982.

In 1981 the prototype of the MiG-29UB two-seat trainer version with no radar and reduced combat capabilities was developed. The aircraft obtained the NATO reporting name Fulcrum-A. The MiG-29 features the weapon control system comprising the S-29 radar with the range of 70-100 km, KOLS-29 optical localizer coupled with the laser rangefinder and the helmet-mounted sighting system Shchel-3UM. These systems are controlled by two C-100 computers.

First aircraft were delivered to Poland in 1989–1990. The other ten were bought in 1996 in the Czech Republic for the Sokół (Falcon) helicopters. They serve with the 1st Tactical Air Squadron at Mińsk Mazowiecki.

The displayed MiG-29UB is an exhibit with an exceptional history. The aircraft was delivered to the air force of the German Democratic Republic (Lufstreitkräfte der NVA) in late 1980s. After Germany had been reunited the MiG-29s were taken over by the Bundesluftwaffe, as the first type of Soviet aircraft operated by a NATO member country. The German MiG-29s were operated by the JG 73 Steinhoff at Laage.

In 2002 the Germans decided to retire the MiG-29s. They were sold to Poland for a token sum of 1 euro. After necessary overhauls they were assigned to the 41st Tactical Air Squadron at Malbork. Aircraft number 4115 made the welcoming flight with the new unit with the later CO of the squadron, Lt. Col. Robert Dziadczykowski at the controls. It was retired in 2007 and donated to the Museum in April 2008.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -