Motor glider: HWL Pegaz
In 1945, the Departament of Civil Aviation issued a motorglider design competition, for the glider pilots to aircraft transition training. Engineer Tadeusz Chyliński, the winner of the competition designed the single seat, mid wing construction, with pusher propeller placed between twin boom fuselage. The engine designer was engineer Stanisław Gajęcki.
It was a return to the pre war idea of training glider pilots with a help of motorgliders to fly aircraft. Before the second world war, the similar competition won the Bąk (gadfly) motorglider designed by Antoni Kocjan.
In the designing of the Pegaz (pegassus), the talented aviation designer, engineer Bronisław Żurakowski took part. Building of the prototype started at the Scout’s Aviation Workshops at the Gocław airfield in Warsaw.
On 18 July 1949, the prototype was flown on the Aviation Institute airfield by engineer Bronisław Żurakowski and pilot Jerzy Szymankiewicz. The Pegaz was certified to fly the school and tourist flights. It also displayed aerobatics a couple of times. It featured the good in-flight characteristic, even with the switched-off engine. Despite the fact, that the Pegaz obtained a good notes, it was not introduced into production.
Until 1964, it was used at the Warsaw Aeroclub and logged over 100 hours, taking part in many air shows.