Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Fouga CM.170 Magister

Fouga CM.170 Magister
France
advanced trainer
1954



  • Technical data


Span 12.15 m (39.8 ft) with wingtip tanks
Length 10.06 m (33 ft)
Take-off weight 3,200 kg (7,050 lb)
Maximum speed 715 km/h (386 kt)
Ceiling 11,000 m (36,080 ft)
Range 925 km (500 NM)
Armament two 7.5 or 7.62 machine guns and up to 140 kg (310 lb) of weapons (bombs or rocket missiles) on two underwing hardpoints
Powerplant :
two Turbomeca Marbore IIA turbojet engines rated at 3,9 kN (875 lbf) each

 

An early jet trainer, fitted with an unconventional V-tail.

The French Fouga CM.170 Magister is the world’s second (the first was Dutch Fokker S.14 Machtrainer) purpose built jet trainer aircraft, intended for training of future combat jet pilots. The design was based on Fouga CM.8 gliders, used for tests with jet engines. In 1948 the Fouga company developed the CM.130 aircraft, powered by two Turbomeca Palas engines, which proved to be not powerful enough. The design was changed, adapting the airframe to larger Turbomeca Marbore II engines. In December 1950 the French Air Force ordered three prototypes, of which the first one made its maiden flight in July 1952. In 1954 production of the Fouga CM.170-1 Magister version began. The first Magisters entered service in the French Air Force in 1956.

The aircraft’s distinctive features are the V-tail, designed by Polish engineer Jerzy Rudlicki in early 1930s and the periscope, providing the instructor with the visibility from the rear cockpit. In 1959 the CM.175 Zephyr version, capable of carrier operations, designed for French naval aviation entered service. 30 aircraft were built. In 1960 an upgraded version CM.170-2 Super Magister, with more powerful Marbore IV engines, entered production. 137 aircraft were built till 1962.

Many countries became interested with the Fouga Magister aircraft. The first foreign operator was West Germany, which purchased 62 aircraft and further 188 were license built by Flugzeug Union Süd. The license production was also undertaken by Valmet in Finland, which built 62 between 1958–1967 and IAI in Israel, which built 36, designated IAI Tzukit. The Tzukits featured underwing weapon hardpoints, providing them with ground attack capability. The other foreign operators were Belgium, Austria, Brasil, Ireland, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Cambodia, Gabon, Salvador, Togo, Morocco, Libya, Lebanon and Honduras. Production totalled 929 aircraft of all versions.

The Magisters were used in combat in a few conflicts. The first one was the secession of Katanga after Congo had become independent in 1960. The Katangese forces included a handful of Magisters. Israeli Air Force Tzukits attacked Jordanian armoured forces during the Six Day War in June 1967. During the 1967–1970 Nigerian Civil War the Biafran secessionists operated five aircraft of the type.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -