Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Tupolev Tu-2S (NATO: Bat)

Tupolev Tu-2S (NATO: Bat)
USSR
bomber
1947



  • Technical data


Span 18.9 m
Length 13.8 m
Take-off weight 11400 kg
Maximum speed 550 km/h
Ceiling 9000 m
Range 2180 km
Armament 2 x 20 mm cannons, 3 x 12,7 mm flexible machine guns, 3000 kg bomb load
Powerplant :
2 x radial, air cooled, Shvetsov ASh-82FN, 1850 hp (1362 kW)
Virtual tour :

 

In the Soviet Union, in the second half of 1930's many outstanding aeronautical constructors became imprisoned due to political purgatories. Among them was Andrey N. Tupolev, imprisoned at the Lubyanka prison. Since 1939 he was a head of the special (prison) construction bureau. There, he obtained an order to carry out the design of a fast dive bomber.
The outbreak of the Second World War changed the priorities and Tupolev?s design team was engaged in realising the concept of a fast frontal bomber with dive flight capabilities.
The design was developed in a very short time and in March 1940 was accepted into production under the "103" designation.
The first flight of the prototype took place by the end of 1941. The aircraft was a four seat, cantilever mid-wing of an all metal construction, powered with two in line engines.
In May 1941, the decision was made to test the high output radial engines on the airframe. To carry out the testing, the next, "103 W" prototype was built. This aircraft became a pattern for the serial production. In March 1942, an official Tu-2 designation was given to the type. The first serial examples were sent to frontal operations in 1942. Only in 1943, the improved and technologically simplified Tu-2S, powered with the new ASz-82FN radial engines, appeared. Its mass production started in 1944. As a result, 2527 aircraft in different versions were produced until 1947.
The Tu-2 aircraft remained in service with the Soviet Air Force since 1942 until the mid 1950's. After the war it was a basic bomber before the introduction of the turbo jet Il-28's.
After 1950, the Soviet Union passed several machines over to Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, People's Republic of China and People's Korean Republic. In Poland probably seven Tu-2's were utilised in 1950-1957. The first public show took place in 1950, during the 1st May celebrations. In the time of its service, the Polish Navy utilised the aircraft for the reconnaissance missions as well. By the end of 1950's the special target towing unit was formed out of the withdrawn aircraft. The last machines flew in Poland until 1957.
The aircraft on display was built in 1947. In the mid 50's it was rebuilt and adapted for ejection seat tests. After retirement, it was handed over to the museum in 1964.

Back

   


Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -