Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: PZL-101 Gawron

PZL-101 Gawron
Poland
agricultural plane



  • Technical data


Span 12.68 m (41 ft 7 in)
Length 9.0 m (29 ft 6 in)
Take-off weight 1660 kg (3660 lb)
Maximum speed 170 km/h (92 kt, 106 mph)
Ceiling 2400 m (7900 ft)
Range 450/1100 km (280/684 mi)
Armament
Powerplant :
PZL AI-14R 9-cylinder air-cooled radial engine rated at 260 hp (191 kW)

 

This derivative of the Soviet 4-seat Vak-12M multi-purpose aircraft, licence-built by WSK-Okęcie was built following the needs of agricultural and forestry services. Major construction changes included 550-litre chemical hopper replacing the rear seats, slightly swept (4Q) wings with prominent endplates, aft moved landing gear and increased incidence tailplane of greater area.

The prototype was flown in 1958 and production aircraft followed in 1960. Until 1970, when production ended, 326 aircraft (including 215 "agro" planes, 79 tourers and 32 ambulances) were manufactured. 134 of them (mostly in the agricultural version) were exported principal users being Hungary, Bulgaria and India.

Its reliability enabled the development in Poland of agricultural aviation and starting the agricultural service abroad. Since 1967 the PZL-101 operating in Poland had been ferried to Egypt and Sudan, although since 1976 they were replaced with the safer and more efficient PZL-106 Kruk (Raven) "agro" low-wing monoplane. The Gawron’s agricultural and ambulance service was ended in 1983. Nowadays the PZL-101 aircraft is flown in Poland only by aero clubs.

The Gawron is a fabric-covered, all-metal, high-wing monoplane with fixed undercarriage. Two-spar braced wing with fixed leading-edge slats houses two 80-litre fuel tanks. For ferry flights additional fuel tanks of 90 litres capacity each can be carried under the wings. The engine is 260 hp (190 kW) AI-14R 9-cylinder radial, supplied by WSK-Kalisz. The two-pitch W530D wooden propeller came from the WSK-Okęcie.

The agricultural equipment fitted to the hopper included either an under-fuselage spreader with wind-driven agitator or the underwing spray bars with wind-driven centrifugal pump. In both cases the hopper had dorsal feeding hatch and ventral emergency-dump plate.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -