Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Avia B.33 (licenced Il-10, NATO: Beast)

Avia B.33 (licenced Il-10, NATO: Beast)
USSR / Czechoslovakia
ground attack plane
1952



  • Technical data


Span 13.4 m
Length 11.2 m
Take-off weight 6535 kg
Maximum speed 570 km/h
Ceiling 7500 m
Range 830 km
Armament 4 x 23 mm NS-23 cannons buried in wings, 1 x 20 mm UB-20 cannon in the cockpit of radio-gunner, bombs and unguided rockets on the hardpoints under wings; provisions for chemical weapons
Powerplant :
12-cylinder liquid cooled V engine M-42 (licensed AM-42), 2000 hp (1472 kW)
Virtual tour :

 

A Czech-built, improved variant of the famous "shturmovik".

A new kind of war, the bigger the efficiency of fighting machines, the need of direct support of the land forces and the replacement of obsolete biplanes with modern monoplanes, proved in full the concept of employing ground attack aircraft.

Designed just before the outbreak of Second World War, the Soviet Il-2 appeared to be a successful construction. In 1942 work over the new, improved aircraft to fight bombers started. It was a single seat, heavy fighter, which became a base to a directed into production in 1944, the two seat Il-10. In this airframe, the more ingenious (in comparison with the IL-2) armament was utilised.

The specificity of ground attack demanded thicker armour around the cockpit – the upper and lower surfaces were less susceptible, thus this area could be thinner. By the end of 1944, the Il-10 fully replaced the Il-2 on the assembly line. It entered service in the last months of the war and was used on a bigger scale against the Japanese forces.

After the end of the hostilities, at the Czechoslovak Avia-Letnany works, production of the Il-10 started, however with some changes introduced. The Avia B.33 differed mostly from the Il-10 in armament: two fixed cannons and two machine guns were replaced with four fixed cannons. Mass production of the Avia B.33 started in 1951 and the first examples reached regiments in the following year. In 1953–1954 the Avia works exported a big batch of these aircraft to Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania. Out of the 1200 total aircraft produced, almost 600 were foreign orders.

The B.33 and the CB.33 (training variant) were delivered to Poland, as well. They were in service with assault regiments and the Naval aviation flight until 1960. After that year most were retired from service, a few remaining only played an auxiliary role. The displayed "4", earlier "29", Avia B.33 aircraft was produced in 1952. It was handed over to the museum in 1964, after the aviation exhibition commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Polish People's Republic.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -