Aeroplane: WSK TS-9 Junak 3
In 1946, the LWD works undertook the design and building of a aircraft, powered with the M-11D radial engine. The new construction featured easy flying and ground service. In the next year, the two seat, school and training low wing (of mixed construction) was developed. It had fixed undercarriage and a closed cockpit. The Junak's first flight took place on 22nd February 1948. The aircraft was a successful construction, steady flight, easy to steer and easy in flying. After a minor modification it entered serial production as the Junak 2. Its predecessor was designed in 1948 (the Zuch 1).
The Junak's next modification for the air force order was carried out in 1952, by the construction team led by Tadeusz Sołtyk at the Aviation Institute. The main change was the fixed nose wheel. The aircraft was equipped with a new propeller, radio, radio compass and modified fuel installation. The prototype flown on 7th August and appeared to be a successful aeroplane.
The Junak-3's were introduced in 1954 to the Officers Flying School in Dęblin, replacing the withdrawn Junak-2's. In 1954-1956, the WSK Okecie produced 146 Junak-3's.
Replaced by the TS-8 Bies, they served with the air force until 1961. However, since 1956 they were gradually handed over to aeroclubs, where they flew until 1972. The last Junak-3 bore the registration SP-BOG.
The aircraft on display, 13-9578 (SP-BPL) WSK TS-9 Junak-3, was built in 1955 within the last production batch. It was handed over to the museum in 1964 by the last user, the Kraków aeroclub.