Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Aero L-29 Delfín (NATO: Maya)

Aero L-29 Delfín (NATO: Maya)
Czechoslovakia
advanced trainer
1969



  • Technical data


Span 10.29 m (33 ft)
Length 10.81 m (36.5 ft)
Take-off weight 3,324 kg (7,328 lb)
Maximum speed 655 km/h (354 kt)
Ceiling 10,900 m (35,760 ft)
Range 894 km (483 NM) with external tanks
Armament 200 kg of bombs, gun pods or rocket launchers on underwing hardpoints
Powerplant :
one centrifugal-flow Motorlet M-701C turbojet rated at 8.7 kN (1,962 lbf)
Virtual tour :

 

The L-29 Delfín (Dolphin) is a two-seat jet trainer aircraft, intended for training of future combat jet aircraft pilots, designed in the 1950s in Czechoslovakia by Jan Vlček, Zdenek Rublič and Karel Tomáš. The prototype first flew on April 5th, 1959. In 1961 the L-29 won the contest for a new trainer aircraft for the Warsaw Pact, held in Moscow, defeating the Soviet Yak-30 and Polish TS-11 Iskra. In 1963 production began and the Delfíns entered service in the air forces of the USSR and other Warsaw Pact countries except for Poland, which elected the indigenous design TS-11 Iskra.

Apart from the basic trainer version, the L-29A single seat aerobatic variant and L-29R reconnaissance variant equipped with photo cameras were developed. The production at Aero Vodochody and Let Kunovice totaled 3,655 aircraft by 1974, of which ca. 2,000 were delivered to the USSR, 400 to Czechoslovakia and the rest to Bulgaria, East Germany, Hungary and Romania. Later the Delfíns were acquired by the air forces of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Georgia, Afghanistan, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Angola, Mali, Ghana, Uganda and Vietnam. Several aircraft retired from air forces are flown by private owners in the USA, Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, South Africa and Slovakia.

The displayed aircraft, s/n 99 3241 was built in 1969 by Aero Vodochody within 32nd production batch. It served with Czechoslovak and later Czech Air Force. In 2004 it was donated to the Aviation Museum in Prague (Letecké muzeum Praha-Kbely) with which it was exchanged for TS-11 Iskra aircraft s/n 3H-1212 in 2014.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -