Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region

Mecenas Muzeum

Kraków Airport

Instytut Techniczny Wojsk Lotniczych - sponsor restauracji samolotu Caudron  CR.714 Cyclone

Patroni Medialni

Skrzydlata Polska

Aeroplane: WSK TS-8 Bies

WSK TS-8 Bies
basic trainer

  • Technical data

Span 10.5 m
Length 8.6 m
Take-off weight 1550 kg
Maximum speed 310 km/h
Ceiling 6000 m
Range 750 km
Powerplant :
7-cylinder radial PZL WN-3, 330 hp (242 kW)
Virtual tour :


Through the post war years, the conception of building a transition trainer existed in Polish aviation.
The required aircraft was built in response to the military authorities call, at the Aviation Institute by the team led by Tadeusz Sołytk. His technical designs shelved in the forties were taken out in 1953. The construction work along with static tests were completed in 1955. On 23rd June of the same year, the prototype flew for the first time. It was a two seat school and training aircraft of an all metal construction with a low wing. The first batch of 10 aircraft, armed with a single machine gun and two bomb racks was produced in 1957. In 1958, mass production of the improved and unarmed, version (TS-8 BII Bies (Bogey)), equipped only with a gun camera, started.
The prototypes (except for the factory tests) were also displayed in different exhibitions and fairs for propaganda and commercial offer purposes. The TS-8 Bies was the first post-war serially built, all metal Polish aircraft, powered with the newly designed Polish WN 3A seven cylinder radial engine. 229 of the TS-8 Bies were produced from 1957 until 1960. A few of them went to Indonesia. The Polish Air Force utilised TS-8's until 1975. They also remained in service with aeroclubs from 1966 until 1978.
Several international aviation records were established and the aircraft had a very good reputation among pilots.
There are two TS-8's at the museum. The first one (in storage), being the prototype, flew for the first time on 23rd July 1955 and the second (on display), serially built, produced in 1958 and remained in service until 1967. It was given to the museum as the Polish Air Force Headquarters gift.



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -