Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: LWD Szpak 2

LWD Szpak 2
Poland
executive aircraft
1945



  • Technical data


Span 11.32 m (37 ft 1 in)
Length 8.05 m (59 ft 2 in)
Take-off weight 950 kg (2094 lb)
Maximum speed 200 kph (108 kt / 124 mph)
Ceiling 4,400 m (14,400 ft)
Range 670 km (416 mi / 362 NM)
Armament
Powerplant :
a 7-cylinder radial air-cooled Bramo Sh 14A2 rated at 160 hp

 

Already by the end of the Second World War, in October 1944 the Bureau of the Design and Study of the Ministry of Communication, Mail and Telegraph was established. The director became A. Sułkowski, later director of the Experimental Aviation Works. Tadeusz Sołtyk was nominated as the chief designer. The first design of the Bureau was the Szpak (English: blackbird) - a simple, liaison and executive four seater, of wooden construction and a strutted low wing configuration. The design was ready by the end of October 1944.

After the liberation of Łodź, the construction bureau was moved there to a furniture factory. The new location gave the Bureau, renamed Aviation Experimental Workshops, a greatly increased space and facilities for the development of aircraft. Thus the plans for the Szpak-1 were abandoned and it was decided that a more advanced aircraft would be developed. The new four seater, of wooden construction and the strutted low wing configuration was named the Szpak-2. Some of it parts came from the German wrecked aircraft and a part from a crashed Po-2.

The Szpak-2, the first Polish aircraft developed after the war was flown on 28 October 1945. Unfortunately, the flight ended with a damage to the landing gear, which was made with steel tubing cannibalized from burned-out German wrecks. The repaired Szpak-2 was officially flown on 10 November in the presence of the Minister of Communication and other authorities. The aircraft was flown by Antoni Szymanski.

Next year the aircraft was transferred to the Aviation Technical Institute in Warsaw for further tests. It was found out that however the aircraft featured satisfactory inflight characteristics and was able to successfully recover from flat spin, the cockpit was too cramped and did not allow for the use of a parachute. Until 1948, the aircraft served as an executive and factory machine and took part in many air shows. In 1948, the Szpak flew to Romania and back.

By the end of 1948, the aircraft was handed over to the Technical Museum and later to the Polish Aviation Museum.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -