Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Storehouses: PZL S-4 Kania 3

PZL S-4 Kania 3
Poland
glider tug
1958



  • Technical data


Span 12.2 m
Length 8.7 m
Take-off weight 970 kg
Maximum speed 170 km/h
Ceiling 5100 m
Range 580 km
Armament
Powerplant :
WSK (Shvetsov licence) 5 cylinder radial M-11D, rated at 125hp 992 kW.

 

In 1950, with the help of military authorities, Eugeniusz Stankiewicz carried out work on the first prototype of the Kania, basing it on the pre-war construction of the RWD-8.It was a two seater, all wooden construction with a high wing strut, destined for training and glider tugging. The prototype was assembled at the Glider Experimental Works in Bielsko-Biała. In May of the following year, Tadeusz Więckowski flew the aircraft for the first time.

The Kania would have proved to have been a good aeroplane for gliders, due to its better rate of climb compared to the already in use CSS-13. However, due to the uncompleted technical documentation and a weak construction, the aircraft was not approved for service. After a few years the WSK Works returned to the design. Based on the experience gained, the team led by E. Stankiewicz carried out the production of a new aircraft. The first flight was on 3rd September 1957. The second prototype was built at the Mielec works a year later and the third at the Krosno works.

The Kania 3 being cheaper in production and in service than the CSS-13, was also better as a training and tugging aircraft. However, the decision to halt production of the M-11D engine in Poland and the reluctance of the Polish Aeroclub to utilise anything other than all-metal aeroplanes meant that the Kania 3 didn't make it into line production. Despite this, the three prototypes proved the Kania's good flight characteristics throughout their several years of service.

The displayed aircraft, 02 SP-PBB, was built at Mielec in 1958. It remained in service until 1970 and was handed over to the museum in 1971.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -