Aeroplane: Yakovlev Yak-11 (NATO: Moose)
After the conclusion of World War II, the Alexander Yakolev Construction Bureau started work on a new transition trainer. This two seat aeroplane was intended for training of pilots who had already gone through initial training on the Po-2. The new aeroplane was to be similar in performance to fighter aircraft while being simple and cheap in production. The desing was based on the Yak-3U fighter.
The prototype was developed in 1946. The new training aircraft was all metal, low wing and powered by the ASh‑21 engine rated at 700 hp. It was equipped for blind flying, air reconnaissance and air combat training. The aircraft went into production in 1947 and in the same year the first five examples made it into aviation regiments. They were then introduced to the DOSASF (the Civic Society for the co-operation with the Army, Air Force and Navy). By that time the Yak‑11 was already a transition trainer from the Yak‑18 to fighter aircraft.
Despite its advantages, the Yak-11 was difficult to fly, having a tendency to swing during landing and take off. In total, over 4,500 aircraft were produced in the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia (as Let C‑11), including the nose wheel variant, the Yak‑11U. The aircraft was used in Albania, Afghanistan, Iraq, Austria and Yemen, and by the Polish Air Force in 1950–62. Its first public show came during Aviation Day in 1951 and the aeroplane remained in service until the introduction of the TS‑8 Bies trainer.
The aeroplane on display (c/n 64236) was manufactured in the Soviet Union in 1962. It was donated to the museum after the Aviation Exhibition held at Rakowice-Czyżyny airfield in 1964 to celebrate 20th Anniversary of the Polish People's Republic.