Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Aeroplane: Yakovlev Yak-18 (NATO: Max)

Yakovlev Yak-18 (NATO: Max)
USSR / Hungary
basic trainer
1956



  • Technical data


Span 10.6 m
Length 8.0 m
Take-off weight 1160 kg
Maximum speed 235 km/h
Ceiling 3350 m
Range 780 km
Armament
Powerplant :
5-cylinder, radial Shvetsov M-11 FR, 160 HP (118 kW)
Virtual tour :

 

In the mid-1930s, Alexandr Yakolev designed a two-seater, open-cockpit basic trainer aircraft powered by a radial engine. It was produced from 1937 as the U2. In 1943 Yakovlev Construction Bureau developed a prototype with an enclosed cockpit was developed. It became the base for the 1946 Yak-18.

The new aircraft, similar to the U-2, featured an all-metal construction. The fuselage truss was of welded steel tubes and the wings had a duralumin skeleton. The aircraft was fabric-covered and had a retractable undercarriage. First flown in 1947, it was put into production in the same year. In April 1948 it was first shown to the public at the XXI Poznań International Fair. The Yak-18 proved to be a successful aeroplane, mass-produced and exported to many countries. The machine scored several speed records as well as the altitude record (6311 m), established in 1954. Between 1947 and 1957 a total of 5680 Yak-18's and Yak-18U's (with a tricycle gear) were built in the Soviet Union and Hungary.

In 1957 an upgraded variant was developed, the Yak-18A. It had a new engine and a metal skin fuselage. The single seat version was known as the Yak-18P and -18PM. By 1975, 8334 examples of the Yak-18 were produced. In Poland many Yak 18 versions were used between 1950–78, first with the Polish Air Force, then in aero clubs.

The aeroplane serial number EM 005 was manufactured in Hungary in 1956 at Sportárutermelő Vállalat (Factory of Sport Appliances) in Esztergom. In August 1957 it was delivered to the Aero Club of the Polish People's Republic and registered as SP-AOP. After flying 1555 hours and two overhauls, it was given to the Museum. On the agreement signed in 2000 with the "Polish Eagles" Foundation, the aeroplane was restored to flying condition and registered anew as SP-YYY. The aircraft was given colour scheme of military Yak-18s. It is the only airworthy example of the type in Poland and one of only a few in the world.

Back



Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -